ADAM AD LDS enhancements timeline
ADAM has seen a number of enhancements since the initial release these are listed below as gleaned from KB articles and TechNet.
ADAM SP1 (KB902838):
- Let ADAM users bind to an ADAM instance by using Digest authentication.
- Enables password chaining to Active Directory users through ADAM proxy objects.
- Updated LDP utility: Includes a graphical user interface (GUI) that lets you grant access to directory objects by manipulating access control lists.
- ADSchemaAnalyzer: Active Directory Schema Analyzer tool.
- ADAMSync: Active Directory to ADAM Synchronizer tool.
- Lets you create users in the configuration partition. ADAM users can now be ADAM administrators.
AD LDS Server Role for Windows Server 2008
- A supported role for Server Core installations
- Install from Media (IFM) option. Allows a one-step Ntdsutil or Dsdbutil process to create installation media for subsequent AD LDS installations results in DIT that can be mounted using dsamain (see below).
- Auditing for AD LDS changes http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=94846 and http://blogs.technet.com/askds/archive/2009/04/02/one-stop-audit-shop-for-adam-and-adlds.aspx
- Database Mounting Tool (Dsamain.exe). Improves recovery processes by providing a means to compare data as it exists in snapshots or backups that are taken at different times so that you can better decide which data to restore after data loss. This feature eliminates the need to restore multiple backups to compare the AD LDS data that they contain. (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=94847).
- Support for Active Directory Sites and Services. The Active Directory Sites and Services snap-in can be used to manage replication among AD LDS instances.
- A dynamic list of LDAP Data Interchange Format (LDIF) files during instance setup. Custom LDIF files are available during AD LDS setup—in addition to the default LDIF files that are provided with AD LDS—by adding the files to the %systemroot%\ADAM directory.
- Recursive linked-attribute queries: A single LDAP query can follow nested attribute links, which can be very useful in determining group membership and ancestry. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 914828.
AD LDS Server Role for Windows Server 2008 R2
- Active Directory Recycle Bin: Enhances your ability to preserve and recover accidentally deleted Active Directory objects. For more information, see What’s New in AD DS: Active Directory Recycle Bin (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=141392).
- Active Directory PowerShell: Provides command-line scripting for administrative, configuration, and diagnostic tasks, with a consistent vocabulary and syntax. For more information, see What’s New in AD DS: Active Directory PowerShell (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378783.aspx).
- Active Directory Web Services: Provides a Web service interface to Active Directory domains, AD LDS instances, and Active Directory Database Mounting Tool instances. For more information, see What’s New in AD DS: Active Directory Web Services (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd391908.aspx).